Posts for tag: fillings
Fillings are one of the most commonly performed dental procedures, and yet this tooth-saving treatment often doesn't receive the respect it deserves. Des Plaines, IL, dentists Drs. Roman Dziubyk and Lorelei Grise' of Suburban Family Dental explain how fillings protect your teeth and discuss common filling materials.
How fillings help your smile
Tooth decay attacks and destroys healthy tooth structure. Removing the decayed portion of your tooth prevents the cavity from worsening or the decay from spreading to other teeth. Unfortunately, once the decayed area is removed, you'll have a hole in your tooth. Fillings seal the hole, strengthens the tooth and prevents bacteria from entering. Fillings also make it possible for you to use the tooth to chew normally.
Depending on the size and location of your cavity, Drs. Dziibyk and Grise' may recommend one or more of these filling types when you visit their Des Plaines office:
- Composite: Flexible composite resin is tinted to match common tooth shades to ensure that your new filling won't stand out.
- Ionomer: Cavities can occasionally form on the roots of teeth, particularly if you have receding gums. Ionomer fillings made of glass powders and acrylic acids are used to restore tooth roots damaged by tooth decay. These fillings are tooth-colored to match your smile.
Are you worried that you might have a cavity? Call Des Plaines, IL, dentists Drs. Roman Dziubyk and Lorelei Grise' of Suburban Family Dental at (847) 640-0778 to schedule an appointment.
The benefits of laser fillings
If you need a filling, why not consider getting a filling without the old “drill and fill” method? Thanks to new, modern dental technology you can avoid those scary, unpleasant metal drills. Your dentists at Suburban Family Dental in Des Plaines, IL want to introduce you to the future of dentistry, laser fillings!
Dental lasers have been used for soft tissue procedures for years, but now, you can also have restorative (filling) treatments using lasers. Dental lasers allow your dentists at Suburban Family Dental to remove small layers of tooth structure, without the noise and discomfort of conventional drills.
There are many benefits of laser fillings when compared to conventional drilled fillings. The Des Plaines dentists at Suburban Family Dental want you to know that laser fillings are:
- Long-term, because they can kill bacteria deep in a cavity which can lead to a better long-term outcome for your tooth
- Quiet, because they create very little sound when they are used
- Calming, because healing time and trauma are reduced
- Healing, because there is less irritation and less bleeding and swelling
- Conservative, because more healthy tooth surface is retained
Probably the biggest advantage to you is laser filling procedures are comfortable. In many cases, you won’t even need an injection to numb the area first! This makes laser fillings the perfect choice for people who are afraid of needles, or would rather not be numb.
Use of dental lasers is not appropriate for all fillings, such as replacing old metal fillings. Your dentists at Suburban Family Dental can help you decide if laser fillings are right for your dental issues. So, if you need fillings, don’t settle for old school dental technology when you can have new state-of-the-art dental treatments with dental lasers. Call Suburban Family Dental in Des Plaines, IL for a consultation. They can help you discover the magic of dental laser fillings, so call today!