Do you have a damaged tooth? Adding a crown to the tooth can improve its appearance and function. Your Des Plaines, IL, dentists Dr. Roman Dziubyk and Dr. Lorelei Grise' of Suburban Family Dental offer dental crowns and other restorations and services that will enhance your smile.
How can teeth become damaged?
Your tooth can be at risk for damage if:
- You received a blow to the face: Car accidents and sports injuries are common causes of tooth injuries and may result in fractures. Broken teeth aren't just unsightly but can be painful if the broken ends are exposed to the air.
- You have a crack in a tooth: Even small cracks can weaken the structural integrity of your tooth. If you don't receive a crown, your tooth may break one day when you take a bite of an apple or a sandwich. Cracks aren't always noticeable. Luckily, your Des Plaines dentists can detect cracks during your checkups.
- You had dental work: Root canals improve your oral health but can weaken your teeth. Crowns may be recommended to protect your teeth after one of these treatments.
How can crowns help?
Crowns are hollow restorations that slip over the part of your tooth visible above your gum line. In order to ensure a proper fit, your dentist must prepare your tooth before adding a crown.
Crowns offer several benefits, including:
- Improved Appearance: Your new crown is made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that it looks like your other teeth. Crowns restore the normal height and width of teeth and can also be used to conceal imperfections or change the shape or length of teeth.
- Reduced Risk of Decay: Bacteria can enter your teeth through small cracks and cause tooth decay. Adding a protective crown seals off cracks and stops bacteria from penetrating your teeth.
- Stronger Teeth: Crowns reduce the risk of a fracture if you have a cracked tooth or have had certain dental procedures. Biting forces are absorbed over the surface of the crown, not the underlying tooth.
Protect your smile with dental crowns! Call your Des Plaines, IL, dentists Dr. Roman Dziubyk and Dr. Lorelei Grise' of Suburban Family Dental , at (847) 640-0778 to schedule your appointment.